Optometric Technician Salary and School
Optometric technician performs different administrative and clinical functions. Special training is required to perform additional clinical duties. If you plan to become an optometric technician you need to meet some educational requirements.
We’ve quickly listed some schools if you want to get more information.
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- A college degree is not sufficient but some institutions may offer some courses in the field of medical assistance and related fields. This will be helpful for obtaining employment.
- Formal training and certification programs for optometric technician are available at some technical schools and colleges.
- Two-year associate degree also enhances the chances of getting employed. American Optometric Association offers certifications for optometric technicians and that will be helpful to you in your job.
Optometric Technician Salary 2011:
The average optometric technician salary is $29,450 per year or $14.16 per hour.
- Hourly Wages:
The entry level techs earn $10.16, the advanced level techs get $24.31 and the average level techs earn $32,740.
- Annual Wages:
The least amount of yearly salary obtained by techs is $21,120; the highest earners get $50,560 and the average salary is $32,740 per year.
The optometric technicians may get additional payments like pension contributions and health insurance depending on their contracts.
Time Require Obtaining Maximum Salary:
The technicians having experience of many years in this field get maximum salary. New optometric technicians having experience of less than 2 years earn $13.23 per hour while the technicians having experience of 16 years make $17.50 per hour.
Columbia brings profitable rewards for optometric technicians, they offer average salary of $37,790 per year.
What Does Optometric Technician Do?
Optometric technicians assist optometrists, they help the optometrist in diagnosis and treatment of any eye defect.
They perform various tasks in both clinical and administrative capacity. This includes testing patients for color discernment; depth of field, short and long sightedness as well and they prepare patients for more complex tests that are to be conducted by optometrist.