Sleep technicians perform tests, which help doctors to diagnose and treat sleep disorders. In order to become a sleep technician one has to get education and fulfill all the requirements.
- To qualify for sleep technician job you will have to complete 1-year polysomnography program. All technicians must have a high school diploma and six months of experience of patients care.
- In most of states certification is required; certification also enhances the chances of getting employment easily. A sleep technician must have good manners to communicate with patients as this helps the tech in conducting sleep studies and tests.
- The duty of sleep technician is very difficult. They have to stand on their feet for long time to conduct sleep studies and they must be efficient to perform their job in an effective manner.
Sleep technician Salary 2011:Receive FREE information from a Technician School. (Use Your Zip Code) [qs_widget wtpl="onestep" sub="A Tech Job" frameheight="125" framewidth="560" clr="blue"]
Salary of sleep technician depends on qualification, experience and the company in which he is employed.
- Hourly Wages:
The minimum salary Sleep Technician Salary is $10.28, the maximum salary is $20.58 and the average salary is $15.00 per hour.
- Annual Wages:
The minimum salary earned is $33,887, the maximum Sleep Tech Salary is $58,555 and the average salary is $41,849 per year.
The benefits gained by sleep technicians include paid vacation, paid sick time, insurance etc.
Time consumed to reach maximum Salary Line:
Experience and education are the main elements that can accelerate the speed at which sleep techs can obtain maximum salary. Sleep techs need high interpersonal and emotional skills; they have to be emotionally intelligent. Once they have all these skills and traits, they can reduce the time period of reaching the maximum salary.
What Does Sleep Technician Do?
- Sleep technician work under the supervision of doctors and sleep technologist and techs help the doctors in diagnosing and treating different sleep disorders such as apnea, insomnia, nightmares and night terrors.
- The sleep technician gathers and keep the medical records of patients and also keep the description of the sleep disorder system.
- They determine the physical condition of the patient and also prepare the equipments. He has to ensure that the equipments are ready to use.