If you want to be qualified as a Veterinary Technician, you can either opt for a two year training program and qualify as a Veterinary Technician or you can opt for a 4 year training program and qualify as a Veterinary Technologist.
- To obtain an entry level job you can opt for 2 years program where you learn the job by doing experiments on live animals.
- Along with this training, the students of Veterinary Technician should even take courses related to science and medical during their school days.
- To qualify as a vet tech you have to pass an exam conducted by AVMA.
Before selecting any career, individuals investigate about the salary offered by your career options. The Maximum and Minimum Veterinary Technician Salary are as follows:
- The minimum Veterinary Tech Salary is $20,500 per year and $9.85/ hour. The average Veterinary Technician Salary 2011 is $29,710 per year and $22.17 per hour.
- The maximum salary offered to these techs is $44,030 per annum and $21.17 per hour.
- Further overtime and bonuses are offered to vets according to their minimum and maximum salary ranges.
Time period used to reach maximum Salary level:
To obtain the maximum salary level you have to learn and practice every small detail that is included in the job. To learn about these details you can either go for 2 years of 4 years educational program. Those considering 2 years program should remember that after 2 years of formal training they will have to spend more time learning the job than those who have done the 4 year program. Thus people having 4 years program will excel faster than those with two years program.
Duties of Veterinary Tech
All Veterinary Techs work under a licensed vet or in a hospital that has the licenses to treat animals. The work of the techs is similar to the job of nurses, they have to conduct tests on animals and help the vet figure out the problem experienced by the animal.